Giving Thanks....

The paper tells us that they cannot predict that we will have a white Christmas yet, but that a white Thanksgiving is a huge possiblity. It is raining outside right now - with no white flakes in sight. But the day isn't over and it's not Thanksgiving yet. Which leads to me being thankful for our current year's holiday plan......

This year we will be giving thanks in our own kitchen - living room - and which ever other room we choose to venture into. We don't have to get in the car and drive somewhere, we aren't getting on a plane to fly somewhere, and we don't have to fight with our families for the food! I almost commented that this will be the first time we have ever spent Thanksgiving at home, but I wouldn't be telling the truth. We did spend a glorious Thanksgiving Day in our 500 square foot apartment in Lansing, Michigan in the year 2000! So, - okay it has been awhile. Due the circumstances of having a job and having to work on Friday this week - we decided to stay home and have our first Zickerman Thanksgiving. In the process of planning this day we decided to ask our neighbors if they would like to join since they too stay home for this splendid holiday. They obliged and we even suckered them into cooking the turkey (who said we weren't smart?).

Why am I happy about this year's plan? Well - I can't say that I won't miss the family laughter and company. Because we all know that is a special part of the day. But if it snows - we can take Tyler sledding in the streets and spend the rest of the day in front of the fire (unfortunately with football on the television). We don't have to travel on the slick highways and have our families worry about our safety. Hmmm...let's see, what else? Okay - honestly I am trying to convince myself that this is a great plan and that we won't be missing out. Because I am going to be missing family like mad. But I am thankful for my husband and son and look forward to spending the day with them and maybe starting a new Thanksgiving tradition of our own!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

0 comments: